Monday, October 25, 2010

Samsung Galaxy Tab Subsidized On Sprint

There's no two ways about this.  You will either have to buy a non-subsidized Samsung Galaxy Tab with an optional monthly data for $599.99 at Verizon on November 11 or a subsidized Samsung Galaxy Tab from Sprint for $399.99 in exchange for a two-year contract and a mininum $29.99 a month for a 2GB data plan with unlimited messaging on November 14.  Pick your poison.

I think some may have had this "pie in the sky" notion that the Tab would seriously undercut the Apple iPad.  The Verizon Tab is $30 cheaper than the comparable 3G iPad, though.  I think the jury is still out on the upcoming Wi-Fi only Tab.  We'll see how competitive it will be priced compared with the $499 Wi-Fi iPad.

Update: Engadget found a Best Buy ad touting the Wi-Fi Tab at the price tag of $499.99.

With the two-year contract on Sprint, the required data plan will cost $719.76 over the two-year span.  That's not including the initial $399.99 for the device.  This is one reason why some people believe unsubsidized is the way to go.

The Tab will also be available on AT&T and T-Mobile.  No official word on the pricing and if there will be required commitments.  But, TmoNews has released what it believes to be a leaked Tab ad that shows a subsidized $399 tablet with a two-year commitment and a $50 mail-in rebate.

For the record, with the across-the-board rollout of Froyo on Android devices, I feel like I can fully support the platform.  If this version of Android with the current hardware specs had come out in 2008, I might have gone the way of the Android.  Since I already have an iPhone, an iPad and an Apple TV, the only Android device that might interest me is Android's version of the iPod Touch which won't see the light of day in the U.S. until at least 2011.  I'm not sure how I'm going to get internet connectivity though since my iSpot won't work with it and Wi-Fi is not always available in Honolulu.

No comments: