Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cheering For Josh Hamilton

Before the American League Championship Series between the Texas Rangers and the New York Yankees, I wanted to make sure I knew the story of Josh Hamilton - the Major League Baseball player who had it all, almost lost it all through drugs and alcohol and then was miraculously redeemed.

So, I got the iBooks version of Hamilton's book "Beyond Belief:  Finding The Strength To Come Back."

I did not know the Rangers were going to beat the Yankees in six games.  I did not know Hamilton would be named the ALCS MVP.  I did not know Hamilton would be playing in the World Series.

All I knew was that I had to understand why Hamilton's story is such an inspiration to others and I was also looking for a reason to cheer for him.

I'm not an avid book reader but I blazed through this book before the ALCS.  Once the book got going, it was hard to put down.  It is an amazing story and Hamilton is just as amazed as anyone that he is playing at the Major League Baseball level.

Hamilton makes no apologies for his Christian faith which he credits to his comeback.  At the same time, there is no proselytizing in the book (at least that I noticed).  There is one swear word used but I did not find it offensive at all.

To not know Hamilton's story is to miss a major storyline of this year's World Series between the Rangers and the San Francisco Giants.  I highly recommend reading this book, if you can, before the World Series starts this Wednesday.  If the Rangers win the World Series and Hamilton is again named the series MVP, then I'd say another book is warranted.

No comments: