Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Steve Jobs (2/24/1955 - 10/5/2011)

This was the final image of Steve Jobs that some of us will remember.  His final appearance at an Apple keynote at the Worldwide Developer's Conference 2011.

He was given a rousing standing ovation.  None of us knew back on June 6 that this would be one of his last public appearances.

Today, Steve Jobs said goodbye to the world.

Even if you never bought an Apple product, your life has been somehow affected by his presence on Earth.  A computer with a mouse and "windows."  Mp3 players.  Your touchscreen phone.  Tablet computing.  Jobs did not invent any of this.  But he took each computing paradigm to the next level.  We all thought he was crazy most of the time.  And then amazed when he was right.
As we remember Steve Jobs, here's a homemade documentary about his life pre-iPhone:





And here's his 2005 Stanford commencement address:


I never bought an Apple product until I bought an iPod Nano circa 2006.  Then, I bought an iPhone 3G in July 2008, an iPad in April 2010, an iPhone 4 in June 2010 and an iPad 2 in March 2011.

Someday I will buy a Mac but not at the expense of my Windows PC.

As a teen I was an Amiga loyalist.  I then turned to the PC by default.  And now iOS is my dominant platform aside from Windows.  I'm not a PC fanboy.  I'm not an Apple fanboy.  I pick and choose the different tools I want to use and, hopefully, creates a workflow in my life that is fun, engaging, and productive.

Thank you Steve Jobs for all of your passion and drive that have gotten us to where we are.

No comments: