Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Sims 3 for the iPhone/iPod Touch

Let me start by saying that I am a Sims veteran. I have played just about every expansion pack for the first-generation Sims game and I have played the second-generation version of the Sims to a lesser extent.
I loved the first Sims but was less impressed with "The Sims 2."
Still, I was very excited to see yet another reboot of The Sims aptly named "The Sims 3." [iTunes link] And now that my preferred platform is now the iPhone, I was even more excited to see what Electronic Arts could do on a mobile device.
Although the iPhone/iPod Touch version of "The Sims 3" won't come close to the versatility of its desktop counterpart, I feel the iPhone version is just as fun and addictive.
The iPhone version is less customizable than the desktop version. There's less choices for the look of your Sim, less furniture for your home, and you can't build invidiual walls or tiles. I didn't
mind this so much, because one can spend HOURS on the look
of your character and the look of your home. So, I welcomed the simplicity.
However, there are some gameplay elements that are probably unique to the iPhone version.
When cooking, you need to shake each pot by clicking on it and shaking your iPhone so your food doesn't get overcooked. Although mundune, I found this to be a nice side game. But, the one thing that frustrated me about cooking is that you now have to buy recipes and EACH INGREDIENT for your recipe. I guess reality has its price.
The BEST side game, though, is the fishing one. Trust me.
Another new element to this latest Sims is the list of goals. Many times it has you doing crazy things like sleeping in other people's beds and using other people's showers.
Well, my character right now is mayor of the town; I'm engaged to my live-in girlfriend; and my fiancee HATES my boss. My current storyline is VERY interesting.
At $9.99, it's a must-have for any Sims aficionado. First-time Sims players will have an easier time getting started on the iPhone version rather than the desktop one.



No comments: