Saturday, March 7, 2009

Making The Blu-Ray Plunge

I am pretty much waist-deep into the High-Definition revolution.  All I need to do now is buy a new TV stand (and get rid of the old one), set up my new HDTV and Blu-Ray player and switch out our cable box/DVR for a hi-def version.  I'm hoping this will all get done within the next couple of weeks.
It's been 10 years since I made the plunge into DVDs and I have an embarassingly large library of movies, documentaries and television shows.  I didn't plan on investing in a high-def format this early.
With that said, I'm not going to replacing my old DVDs with Blu-Ray. If I'm going to double-dip, I'm going to have to sell the DVD.
I have already ordered Yes: Live at Montreux 2003 and Rush: Snakes and Arrows Live from Amazon.com.
In recent years, I've put some self-imposed rules on my movie-buying.  I ask questions like "How many times will I watch this again?" and "Will I at least watch this once a year?"  Now, I'm thinking about MORE questions about buying Blu-Ray titles.  "Do I already have this on DVD?"  "Is this worth upgrading to Blu-Ray?"  Looking at the available Blu-Ray titles, it doesn't look like I'll be buying much.  I already get Blockbuster DVD titles through the mail and it looks like I'll be using that for Blu-Ray titles as well.
I don't think Blu-Ray will overtake DVD any time soon.  But, I've been waiting a long time to make the hi-def upgrade and I think this is the time.



No comments: