Monday, June 16, 2008

Upgrading My Cell Phone

This is my current mobile phone. It's the Sony Ericsson Z520a. I bought it 2 years and 3 months ago so I could take advantage of the Bluetooth handsfree capability of my then-new car. And I have to say that it has REALLY come in handy. Paid about $100 for this.
I have made up my mind about buying the iPhone 3G, so I just wanted you show you the comparison between my current phone and my future phone.

SIZE
Sony - 3.3 x 1.8 x 0.9 inches (when closed)

iPhone - 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.48 inches

I'm really surprised that the iPhone isn't all that much bigger than my current phone. It's only about an inch longer, about half an inch wider, and actually about a half inch THINNER.

WEIGHT

Sony - 3.3 oz

iPhone - 4.7 oz

The iPhone is only about an ounce heavier.

SCREEN

Sony - 128 x 160

iPhone - 480 x 320

Display resolution is nearly tripled.

MEMORY

Sony - 16 MB

iPhone - 16 GB

Here's the first major upgrade. From megabytes to gigabytes. :)

NETWORKS

Sony - GSM 850/900/1800/1900, Bluetooth

iPhone - UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), Wi-Fi (802.11b/g), Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

I wanted to use my iPhone a lot for its internet connectivity. I waited until the iPhone could utilize the 3G HSDPA speeds. Internet on my current phone really SUCKS.

TALK/STANDY TIME

Sony - 9 hours/400 hours

iPhone - 5 hours on 3G, 10 hours on 2G/300 hours

Even though the iPhone can do more, it still has a decent battery.

CAMERA

Sony - 0.3 megapixels, 4x digital zoom, video recording

iPhone - 2.0 megapixels, photo geotagging

This is where I actually lose some features. The iPhone has a resolution that's 7 times better. But, there's no zoom and no video recording. However, photo geotagging is a really interesting feature. It's something I could have used on my trip to Portland.

So, that's the comparison between my current phone and my future iPhone. And you can add a whole bunch of features that my current phone doesn't have like a music player, video playback, GPS/Google Maps, touch screen, accelerometer, etc. Can't wait until July 11.

No comments: