Saturday, May 2, 2009

iPhone Games: Assassin's Creed & Tiger Woods PGA Tour

The next generation of iPhone games is here!

Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed™ - Altaïr's Chronicles [iTunes link] and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® by EA SPORTS™ [iTunes link] are both for sale in the Apple iTunes App Store for $9.99 each.

That may seem like a lot of money, but these games will give you the best BANG for your buck! Both of these games combined are nearly 1/3 of a gigabyte!  And I doubt either of these games will be playable on a first-generation iPhone. 

"Assassin's Creed" picks up where Gameloft's "Hero Of Sparta" left off.  "Hero" raised the bar for action-adventure games on the iPhone, and AC raises it even higher.
Not only do you fight, but you do interesting things like pick pockets and hit people's pressure points.  There is also now voice narration, which is nice touch and no doubt helped to make this game more epic.
This is, however, a much harder game
 than "Hero."  Ledges can be small and the wrong move and you're dead.  AC takes up 129MB of disk space.  If you thought that was a lot, "Tiger Woods" is a mammoth game.

I would be hard-pressed to find a larger iPhone game than "Tiger Woods PGA Tour" which tops out at 160MB.  Everything is 3-D rendered, the animation is smooth and there is even voice announcers.
"Tiger Woods" also has an innovative way to use the touch screen to swing your club.  The learning curve is high and I still suck at this game.  But, even when I'm 25 shots over par, it's still a fun game.  Especially when you're paired with Natalie Gulbis.
I'm not a real-life golfer, so I think this is as close to real golf as I'm going to get.  Once in a while, I do make a brilliant shot.

I'd recommend both of these games, depending on the type of gamer you are.  But, if I had to pick one, I'd choose the Tiger.

Here's some videos that show the gameplay of both games:








No comments: