Wednesday, October 22, 2008

To Qik Or Not To Qik

One of the big knocks about the iPhone is that you cannot use it as a video camera, like many other mobile phones. Although it wasn't a dealbreaker for me, I would LOVE to use my iPhone as a simple video camera.
Up to now, the only way to do that is to jailbreak, or hack, your iPhone. One of the programs you can download is Qik. One of my friends used it and I like it for what it does. It's good enough until Apple decides to implement it.
Recently the founder of Digg, Kevin Rose, posted on his blog a non-jailbroken version of the Qik program and he claims that it will be on the App Store soon. However, Qik posted a response on the company blog which says:

  • Qikkers and Qik fans out there - I want to clarify the questions that are being raised about Qik coming to iPhone App Store. We are looking into this, but at present are not sure when and how this will happen.

Personally, I hope Qik will end up in the App Store. It would be advantageous to Apple to buy some time while they work on other more pressing software matters like push notifications and cut and paste. Meanwhile, you can watch the Kevin Rose video and dream...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Clay, I just want to make a little correction to your post. Qik is NOT the only video recording app.

I use Cycorder which does a great job. It records sound and video in a very good quality.

But yes, you will have to jailbreak your iPhone. Isn't it a good reason to do so??? Come on Clay, jump on the bandwagon and jailbreak your phone. It's gonna be the best thing that will happen to your phone, I promise ;-)

Unknown said...

The mistake was inadvertent. Fixed. :)