Sunday, October 9, 2011

iPhone 4S Pre-orders Sell Out

The way the world responded to the iPhone 4S announcement last Tuesday, you'd think that nobody wanted the newest iPhone.

Well, all iPhone 4S pre-orders have sold out.

UPDATE 10/10/2011:  Apple has announced that iPhone 4S pre-orders topped one million in the first 24 hours.  That broke the previous single-day order set by the iPhone 4.

What that means is you can't pre-order the iPhone 4S to get it on or around October 14 to be shipped to an address.  If you want the iPhone 4S on launch date, your only option now is to stand in line at one of the stores that will be selling it.

Apple Retail Stores will be open at 8 a.m. to sell the iPhone 4S. Here's a list of the other stores selling the iPhone 4S according to the Apple press release:

  • AT&T
  • Sprint
  • Verizon Wireless
  • Select Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Target stores
  • Select Apple Authorized Resellers

As a buyer of the iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 and having to wait hours in line to get them, I wholeheartedly recommend waiting in line at the Apple Store.  In fact, I would try to make a trip to the largest Apple Store in your area because that one will most likely be better stocked.  Here in Honolulu, that would be the Ala Moana Center store.

The carriers seem to sell out VERY quickly.  From what I've heard, stores like Wal-Mart sell out just as fast.  But on the mainland where there are much more Wal-Marts than Apple Stores, there may be a chance you could get a really short line or no line at all.  Still, selection of the model you want may not be good.

I'm going to check out one of the early lines, probably at Ala Moana.  Then, I'll come home and wait for the iPhone 4S that will be going to one of my immediate family members.  Yes, I've been charged with setting it up and I'm all too eager to do so.

2 comments:

Sauce Face said...

I'm planning on lining up at the ala moana store for the iphone 4s launch. This is my first time actually lining up(pre-ordering online always worked for me, except this time). What time do you recommend I head down? Plan on getting the White 64gb version.

Unknown said...

Sauce Face - Looking back at old posts, Ala Moana security will kick you out at around 2 a.m. and tell you to come back at 5 a.m. I found a picture at around 4:42 a.m. of the Apple Ala Moana line for the iPhone 4. So, I'd say you should get there around 4:30-5:00 a.m.

I figure most will go for the 16GB because it's the cheapest. Not sure how many 64GB versions there will be. At least it won't be split up by carriers this time. Good luck! I'll probably see you down there. I'll check it out just for kicks! :)