Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Why The iPhone 3G S Upgrade Is Not Worth It


I have the 16GB iPhone 3G, which is the best iPhone you can get at the moment. On Monday, I carefully sifted through all the new features on the iPhone 3G S coming out next week Friday and decided that it would NOT be worth it for me to upgrade. Here's why:

First of all, Apple and AT&T are not giving current iPhone owners who are not eligible for an upgrade a discount on the new iPhone. 3G owners who signed a two-year commitment are definitely not eligible since less than a year has elapsed. I bought mine on July 11, 2008 and AT&T says I will be eligible for an upgrade by March 12, 2010. I might as well wait until the next iPhone comes out in June or July 2010.
If I REALLY wanted to get the iPhone 3G S, I would have to shell out $499 for the 32GB version or $399 for the 16GB version AND sign a new two-year contract. Paying $200 more and being ineligible for next year's iPhone is a double-whammy.

Secondly, I really don't NEED any of the new features that are exclusive to the 3G S:

  • Faster processor - Great new addition to the 3G S. But, I'm not willing to pay top dollar for it.
  • Video recording - Nice feature, but I already have a real video camera that I would use for serious video.
  • Better camera - Again, nice features. But, I have already adapted myself to the current iPhone camera and learned to take great pictures.
  • Built-In Voice Control - I have already have an app that does something very similar. I hardly use it anyway. So, I wonder if I will really use it on the 3G S.
  • Increased Memory - This is the feature I would REALLY love. But, I wouldn't pay $499 for it.
  • Digital Compass - Useful when using with Google Maps and that's about it. I wouldn't brag to friends about this one.
  • Marginally Better Battery - I have a portable iPhone charger that I can use when I'm in a bind. I am also able to charge my iPhone in both of my cars.

Lastly, next week Wednesday's iPhone OS 3.0 release will affect me MORE than any of the exclusive features for the 3G S. I have been waiting for most of these features and I will be getting them for FREE. iPod Touch users will have to pay $9.99.

So, I believe that the 3.0 upgrade is actually BETTER than the 3G S upgrade.



No comments: