Saturday, February 21, 2009

AT&T 4G Network By 2011?

iPhone Freak is reporting that AT&T plans to roll out its 4G network in two years.  I'm not sure if the 3G speed/dropped calls problem is still prevalent after what Apple and AT&T has been doing, but it seems that we are moving very quickly to yet another system that could cause future problems.  On the other hand, 4G is about 15 times faster than 3G.  Here in Honolulu, I have never had problems with the 3G network so I can really recommend the iPhone to people here.


I'm sure Sprint's decision to go 4G first has something to do with this.  And perhaps, AT&T isn't crazy about streaming video on 3G but would be more willing to do that on the 4G network.  I'm not sure if Apple will keep the iPhone exclusive to AT&T, but I wouldn't be surprised if a 4G iPhone also comes out in 2011.  Just something to think about when (and if) a new iPhone comes out this summer.



No comments: