Thursday, July 9, 2009

New Smartphones On The Horizon

It seems like many people feel that the only smartphone that can compete with the iPhone right now is the Palm Pre. Now, I haven't tried out the Pre (Best Buy in Hawaii doesn't sell any Sprint phones) so I'll just take it at face value that it's good and that multitasking is worth any other downside for the device. I'll also give the T-Mobile G1 an honorable mention; it's a Google Android phone and I bought into the Android hype way before it came out.

Next month, the T-Mobile myTouch 3G is coming out. I'm not so sure this is an upgrade from the G1. Check out this video from Engadget:



Is it just me, or is the myTouch 3G small or are the hands in the video really large? I know they compare it in length with the iPhone and the myTouch is shorter. But, I also think the screen width is thinner too, which makes for a more cramped portrait keyboard than the iPhone. If you like small smartphones, however, this might be one for you.

Also, saw the videos on the HTC Hero and I really wasn't all that impressed. It looks like mobile Flash isn't quite there yet.

Now it seems that Sony Ericsson will have a contender in the ranks.

Video of a new smartphone, codenamed "Rachael," has surfaced on YouTube:



To me, it looks really good. Reminds me of the HTC Fuze interface. I hope this type of interface becomes commonplace on cell phones. I really hate cell phone software that FEELS like you're on a cell phone. Hopefully, Sony Ericsson won't skimp on the device's hardware. I bet we won't see this one until next year.



No comments: