However, I believe in the modern age I think looks DID play a part in the presidential elections. Let's take a look back:
- President Bush vs. Al Gore & John Kerry - To me, Gore and Kerry looked like the stodgy Republicans while Bush has always been loosey-goosey. Bush barely wins.
- Bill Clinton vs. Bob Dole & Bush Sr. - No contest. Clinton wins hands down.
- Bush Sr. vs. Michael Dukakis - I don't think ANY presidential candidate in the modern era had bushier eyebrows than Dukakis. This election was a case of "who's less uglier." Bush Sr. wins.
- Ronald Reagan vs. Walter Mondale & Jimmy Carter - Who could look better than an actor from yesteryear? Reagan wins.
- Jimmy Carter vs. Gerald Ford - Carter fares much better in this beauty contest. Carter wins.
Except for John F. Kennedy, looks probably did not play a huge role in presidential politics before the mid-70s. They all looked like stodgy old guys... and they liked it!